The most popular compression tool for Mac
- Good compression rates
- Can encrypt files
- Handles over 30 different formats
- Compression only
If you use Stuffit Expander for decompressing archives on your Mac, then you'll probably like StuffIt (formerly Stuffit Standard) which is the most widely used archive utility on Mac.
Although there are now several other options out there, StuffIt has certainly been around as long as any and is a powerful tool for anyone that works with multiple file formats. It's easy to use supporting the dragging and dropping of files into the DropStuff drop box which instantly archives files for you.
StuffIt supports over 30 different archive formats including StuffIt, RAR, 7zip, split and segmented archives. Stuffit is ideal for anyone that wants to archive a file for CD/DVD Burning, FTP/MobileMe iDisk uploading, Segmenting and Encryption. You should be aware however that StuffIt is quite a large application despite its simplicity - it installs a lot of components along with the program that some may find bloat their system somewhat.
StuffIt is still a powerful and effective tool for archiving files into almost every archive format out there.
- NEW Compress MP3s with no loss in quality NEW Re-compress Zip archives into even smaller files NEW TIFF, PNG, GIF and BMP compressors NEW Patented 24-bit image compression
StuffIt supports the following formats
* StuffIt X archives (.sitx)
* Legacy StuffIt 5 and older StuffIt archives (.sit)
* Legacy StuffIt 5 and older Mac Self-Extracting archives (.sea)
* Zip archives - including encrypted and Zip64 archives (.zip)
* Windows Self-Extracting archives - created with StuffIt for Windows or Windows Zip utilities (.exe)
* RAR archives - including encrypted archives (.rar)
* 7-Zip archives (.7z)
* TAR archives or UNIX Tape Archives (.tar)
* Compressed TAR archives or tarballs
o Gzip Compressed TAR (.tar.gz, .tgz, .taz)
o Bzip Compressed TAR (.tar.bz, .tbz)
o Bzip2 Compressed TAR (.tar.bz2, .tbz2)
o UNIX Compressed TAR (.tar.Z, .tz)
o LZMA Compressed TAR (.tar.lzma, .tlzma)
* Compact Pro archives - including self-extracting archives (.cpt, .sea)
* Windows CAB Files (.cab)
* Lha archives (.lha, .lzh)
* Arj archives (.arj)
* Arc archives (.arc)
* Comic Book Archives
o CBZ (.cbz)